Friday, August 21, 2009

Family

Mom, Uncle Harry, Aunt Judy, Aunt Wendy
Belford Siblings

Family

I have a big family. It's a mix of loud, loving, caring, nurturing, funny, musical, and overbearing group of people! My dad is Italian. Need I say more? I love that part of my heritage. I am one proud Italian. I am your typical, don't know how to talk without my hands, big mouth, Italian. My mother is German and Welsh and some other things. Basically a mutt. But in a good way. That side of the family is also loud. I mean, really loud! In fact, when Jeff and I were getting married he asked me at our rehearsal dinner why everyone was yelling at each other. What could they always be angry about? I had to explain to him that they aren't angry, well okay, some of them are, but the majority aren't, and that is just how we communicate. We fight for talking space. It's really ridiculous. and at times, overwhelming. I told him he was lucky this wasn't a group from my fathers side, as we would have to make sure no one had anything in their hands while talking or there might be some trips to the ER. You see, Jeff comes from a quiet house. QUIET!!!! I mean, like when I go to his parents home, they all look at me like I'm from another planet. Well, I just might be. Some do think that way of New Jersey. Yes, that is where I was born. New Jersey. Edison to be exact. Middlesex Township. John F. Kennedy Memorial Hospital. September 23, 1979. 6lbs 5ozs. Did you want all that info? Oh well. I'm into detail. :) Anyway, my family is from New Jersey. Except for my siblings they were born in California. And, I'm the only girl on my dad's side of the family in approximately 85 yrs or more. Oh yeah, I hold a very special title. Anyway, our family had a reunion this past June. Well, what was left of the family anyway. And since my parents are no longer together it was really just my mothers side of the family. Which is fine by me. The only person that I talk to on my dads side is my dad. Whom I love and adore! I am truly a daddy's girl. My dad's dad was my hero. I was very very close to my grandfather. All the way up until the day he passed. He will forever be missed. But back to the reunion. I did something I've never done before, I surprised everyone. They all thought that I wasn't going to come. SURPRISE!!! My mom peed her pants. Oopps. Not surprising there though. Family joke. I am glad I got to go, but I am also glad I was only there for two days. It takes it out of you, all that noise and hollering, and fighting for your time to talk. This trip, I laid low, I observed more than spoke. Lets just say, it was interesting. I have a very talented family. Both sides actually. One thing that I grew up with was music. My mom has two sisters and a brother. They have always sang in four part harmony. It's really awesome. I was blessed to have the gift of singing and playing the guitar. So music is a huge part of my life. We'll just break out in song at any moment. It's great. That has to be my most favorite time of the gatherings. And usually everyone else's favorite too. I've often wondered what kind of family Jeff and I will have. Will it be quiet or loud. I'm shooting for in between. There are definitely things that I want to take from my mothers side and incorporate them into my own family and definitely things I want from my fathers side. The Italian heritage is so full of love. And that is what I want in my own family. I can't wait to see my children wave their little hands in the air while they talk, have those expressive eyes, and caring and giving hearts. And I want them to know that music comes from your soul. It's how you feel. It can calm you when life seems to be sweeping the rug out from under you. There are MANY things I will do differently, but there are many that I will continue on. I don't know what your family is like, but if you ever need a good laugh, take a look at mine, or really just sit back and listen if you get the opportunity, it will boggle your mind! I've put a few pictures up from my trip. I hope you enjoy them. And even though I have a crazy family, I do love them and thought I would share them with you.

Me and Amanda(half-sister)

Jessica(cousin), Amanda, Marisa

Dad, Me and CJ(dad's sweet fiance)

Amanda, Mom, Me, Jessica, Aunt Judy, Aunt Wendy

Mom and I

Doug(brother),Me

The Cousins(Me, Grant, Joey(step brother), Jessica, Doug)

Daniel(nephew, Doug's son), Me

My daddy and Me

No comments:

Post a Comment