Sunday, August 16, 2009

Marriage

Have you ever dreamed of what a perfect marriage looks like? Me too! Well I have come to the conclusion that I do not have a perfect marriage, I have the perfect ability to make him mad, make him sad, make him laugh and make him feel loved all at the same time. Man I'm talented! I've had the amazing gift of getting the same man to propose to me not just once, but TWICE! Yes ladies, that's right, twice. And both times, it happened in a parking lot. Oye! When I was young I would sit on the sidewalk and watch happy couples walk by hand in hand and you could almost taste the love that radiated off of them as they passed by. I wanted that, oh boy did I want that. At nineteen I was going to get my chance at real love and marriage. Cold feet is what they call it, yet, that's not what I had, it was a slap in the face by none other than God Himself. Talk about a wake up call. The last thing you want to tell the man who took the time to take you to dinner, sweat like he walked a five mile marathon then get down on one knee, yes in the parking lot, and profess his love to you, was that you were not in fact going to marry him after all. It makes you feel like your committing a crime. But I had to, I knew I was not to enter into a marriage if there were so many things that had to be taken care of first. Like growing up! So two and a half years later, that same man came back into my life. What??!! Can two and a half years grow you enough to try it again? NOPE! But hey, what can I say, I'm a hopeless romantic at heart. I knew this time that God had prepared me for this man in that time apart and He was gracious enough to give me a second try. What does he have with parking lots? Nerves I think. Bless his heart. We tied the knot, so they call it, that fall. Honeymoon? Not even a little. It was wedding vows then back to work the next day. It has taken me seven years to realize how to be the wife that I am called to be. One that lifts up, not drags down. One that loves, not fights. One that has him doubled over in the hardest laughing fit rather than doubled over in tears and pain from horrible words. One that speaks Gods truth instead of what the world believes. One that loves it when he does stupid man things because, well, he's a man! To not expect him to cater to my every need. To be happy that he folded the laundry, not irritated that it wasn't folded the way I do it, he did it for crying out loud! I have finally come to a place in my marriage that gives me hope for the future. That makes me excited about making huge life changes knowing that I get to do it with the man that I love. The man that God gave me. So every time I feel like I'm going to lose it, I'm going to speak these truths to myself and remember that life could be so much more boring without this man in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment